Hookery Cookery Home > Welsh Recipes >
Cawl Afu (Liver Broth)
This soup originates from when the farm pig came to it's day of reckoning. It is still popular in some parts of Wales today.
450g (1lb) pig's liver
450g (1lb) potatoes
450g (1lb) onions, sliced
salt and pepper
- Prepare the liver by cutting into small pieces
- Slice the onions, add to liver and simmer in 1.75 litters (3 pints) water for one and a half to two hours
- Peel and slice the potatoes before adding to the broth and simmer for a further 30 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Strain and serve piping hot.
Recipes compiled by Alwyn Jones © 2000 & web pages designed by R. Barry Jones © 2000