Hookery Cookery Home > Welsh Recipes >
Cawl Cennin (Leek broth)
A warm and wholesome broth on a cold winter's day.
a piece of salt bacon
450g (1lb) carrots, finely diced
450g (1lb) potatoes, finely diced
2 large leeks, sliced
white cabbage, finely shredded
15 ml (tbsp) chopped parsley
30 ml (2tbsp) oatmeal (optional)
- Put the bacon, carrots and potatoes into sufficient boiling water to cover them.
- Boil for one and a half hours, topping up with water as it boils down.
- Take out the bacon and add the leeks together with some finely shredded cabbage.
- When the two vegetables are cooked, add the chopped parsley and serve.
- Thicken the cawl by adding the oatmeal mixed into a paste with cold water.
Recipes compiled by Alwyn Jones © 2000 & web pages designed by R. Barry Jones © 2000